One of the Noh small hand drum (kotsuzumi) schools, also known in the past as the Kō Gorōjirō School. Founder Kō Shirōjirō Tadayoshi (1507-1580) came from the Uji Sarugaku lineage and was a disciple of the master Miyamasu Yazaemon Chikataka (1482-1556). Tadayoshi's son, the second generation Gorōjirō Masayoshi (1539-1626), was considered a master and authored the book “Kō Masayoshi Kuden-sho”. After Masayoshi, his second son, Kozaemon Kazumune, became the third generation; young grandson of the legitimate line Seijirō Satoyoshi later established the Kō Seijirō School (Kōsei School). During the Edo period, the Kō School mainly served as musical accompaniment for the Komparu School, although there was a partial affiliation with the Hōsho School. The characteristics of the school include the differentiation of five distinct sounds (chi, ta, pu, po, and tsu) as well as the use of relatively fewer grace rhythm patterns (tegumi). In addition, calls and other elements are systematically organized, giving the overall performance a strong sense of formality. Today's performers are active across Japan, including in Tokyo, Kyoto and Kyushu.